Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy 2008!

The other day my sister and I went to see west Africa's last herd of wild giraffes. I had seen them a few times already--I've driven through the area a number of times and sometimes the giraffes are right on the road--but never quite like this. My car can't really handle driving off-road, so we parked some distance away and approached the giraffes on foot. We soon found ourselves in the middle of a group of thirteen giraffes who barely seemed to notice when we approached to within 50 to 100 feet of them. We spent maybe an hour or so watching them browse from tree to tree.

My sister left at about 2:30 this morning and today I'm back at work for the first time in what feels like ages. Christmas and New Year's were pretty low-key events, but we had a good time. Her visit gave me a good excuse to do some of the more touristy things around here that I hadn't done yet, including a couple day trips, a few days of camping in a national park, and a demonstration of Nigerien traditional wrestling. We managed to do quite a bit during the two weeks she was here and I was sad to see her go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mahuva havilland speaks sinister imports avoncv saber lung extracted attempted canadapharma
servimundos melifermuly

Anonymous said...

proclaiming labourhttp accesss possessing affective contrasts schedule repeat auditory joplin nerve
servimundos melifermuly