Thursday, June 12, 2008

Reason to Hate CNN International #2: The Weather

Reporting the weather forecast is one of the more useful functions of TV news. It's nice to have some way to anticipate whether you should bring an umbrella to work today or consider canceling that picnic you had planned for the weekend. But 99% of what's useful about knowing weather conditions is only locally relevant. What is the point in trying to report "the weather" on a global news network?

CNNi fills a lot of airtime with a graphic that shows current conditions in a random smattering of 20 or so cities while some new age music plays in the background. I'm telling you, it's on so often I hear the music in my sleep. And it's next to useless! Great. I now know it's 25 degrees in Muscat. Now please show me again 5 minutes from now. (I consider myself pretty good with my world cities and I had to look that one up, but at least I know it's partly cloudy there with a chance of rain.) Unsurprisingly, Niamey never makes the cut. But even if they decided viewers in Niamey could also benefit from knowing current conditions and graciously added us to the rotation of cities, what are the odds that I'd be watching (or paying attention) on the occasion when Niamey's number comes up?

What you also get, slightly less frequency but still multiple times every hour, is the typical "weatherman/woman standing in front of the map" routine. I think they throw darts at a spinning globe once or twice a day when they feel like changing the map. This morning I got a nice rundown of conditions in the US (all temperatures in degrees Celsius, of course). Tomorrow I'm hoping for Australia.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in Niamey now and CNNI is the only channel I get that isn't in French, and I can't believe how often they run the weather! I'm almost ready to start watching French channels.

Anonymous said...

hey guys, i travel 50 miles to work (stupid yeah… looking for another job…) anyway im just wondering would you recommend me driving all that way at 3.30am? i travel from preston to liverpool airport….i cant seem to find a decent site with readable weather!!!
http://www.weathertoday.v3host.be/?p=10912

Anonymous said...

Hello.
How Is the weather today?
introduces readers to various types of weather that occur during each season.
The text discusses typical activities and clothing for each type of weather.
Supportive illustrations accompany the text. You can find out here.
Bye now

http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/weather-today.html