Tuesday, June 03, 2008

African Fish Blogging


I don't think the photo really captures it, but this was a gigantic fish that some friends and I ate last weekend. If you define a "person-meal" as the amount one person eats for one meal, this fish was well over ten person-meals. It was stuffed full of vermicelli, potatoes, and vegetables, with all the bones removed. It was then baked in an oven for over an hour and eventually served on top of a heaping pile of fried rice (not shown). Definitely the best meal I've had since I've been here.

I tend to report all of my significant dining and gastronomic experiences to my friend Tim, who has much more refined tastes in these matters than I do. He appreciated my description of this meal, but felt that it probably didn't compare to the fish he ate in Uganda several months ago, shown below in "before and after" mode.


Update: I imagine there are a lot of these "memorable meal" photos floating around out there. Feel free to send some my way and I'll continue to post the good ones. I think I remember some quality food pictures from a certain evening at Chamas Brazilian Steakhouse in Durham last year.

4 comments:

Anya said...

And by "person-meal" you mean "servings" right? Maybe it is a good thing you will be coming back to the US in a month... it sounds like you are inventing things. Although, there is something much more intelligent and economist sounding about "person-meals".

eric said...

Sounds like you need another "serving" of proverbially scrambled eggs.

You can have multiple servings at one meal, right? So a "person-meal" can be greater than or equal to a serving.

ha!

Unknown said...

Could this dish be described as the Sahelian version of the turducken?

Anonymous said...

agricultural seas prioritized common pharmacy japan managing macan worldwide istanbul hereditary
lolikneri havaqatsu